Each resource is created with its very own editable calendar. Here are some important points:
- Each new resource is assigned a copy of the current Project Calendar as its Base Calendar.
- This Resource Base Calendar may be changed in the Resource Sheet or Change Working Time form to another Base Calendar.
- Any change to a Base Calendar will be reflected in any Resource Calendar.
- The Resource Calendar may be edited to suit the availability of the resource. Days may be made non workdays to represent holidays, etc.
- Normally the duration of a resourced task calculated from the Resource Calendar.
- A task will finish at the end of the longest resource assignment when there are two or more resources assigned to a task that have different end dates due to different Resource calendars or assignment durations.
- When a Task has been assigned a calendar and the check box in the Task Information form Advanced tab Scheduling ignores resource calendars is checked the task duration is then calculated from the Task calendar.
- The Finish date may be calculated differently after a task is assigned one or more resources when the Resources Calendars are not the same as the Task Calendar.
Excerpt from 99 Tips and Traps for Microsoft Office Project