CREATING A NEW PROJECT IN PRIMAVERA P6
There are several methods to create a new project from the Projects Window:
- Run the Create New Project wizard, or
- Copy an existing project and edit it, or
- Import a project created from another Primavera database or created with another software program such as P3, SureTrak or Microsoft Project, or Asta Powerproject.
Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management Version 8 Web has introduced project templates and dropped Methodology Manager/Project Architect.
Creating a Blank Project
You may create a new project at any point in time by selecting File, New…from the menu or clicking on the icon on the Edit toolbar. You will be guided through the Create a New Project wizard which will require the following information:
- The EPS Node the project is to be assigned to.
- The Project ID, a code to represent the project (a maximum of 20 characters), and Project Name.
- A Planned Start date, which is the earliest date any un-started activity will be scheduled to commence and an optional Project Must Finish By date.
NOTE: Be sure to check the Start Time.
- When a Project Must Finish By date is set the project float will be calculated to this date and not to the latest activity finish.
- The Responsible Manager is selected from the OBS structure. If the OBS has not been defined or the responsibility not assigned then Enterprise may be selected as the Responsible Manager.
- The Resource Rate Type. Each resource may have five different rates. This is where the default rates are selected but may be changed after a resource has been assigned to an activity.